Strategic Partnership for Excellence in Safety SPECS
Did your company achieve STEP Gold, Platinum, or Diamond? Then you may be eligible for SPECS!
What is SPECS?
SPECS is a strategic partnership agreement between Maryland Occupational Safety and Health (MOSH) and Maryland Chapters of Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC). This multi-level agreement recognizes the importance of providing a safe and healthful work environment in the construction industry. SPECS:
- Encourages general contractors and subcontractors to develop exceptional safety and health management systems.
- Reduces the number of injuries, illnesses and fatalities affecting contractor employees.
- Focuses on eliminating injuries and fatalities resulting from the four leading causes of death on construction sites: falls, struck-by, caught in/or between, electrocutions.
- Recognizes those construction employers who go beyond basic compliance with all applicable MOSH standards.
- Provides mentorship to those employers who are seeking a higher level of safety and health program.
How do I become an eligible contractor?
Benefits of SPECS Agreement**
- Be a contractor or subcontractor on a Maryland jobsite(s).
- Be an ABC Member and meet the requirements of the ABC STEP program – Gold Level or higher.
- Provide a designated representative with responsibility, authority, and capability to implement site safety and health programs.
- Submit an application for review and a worksite evaluation.
- Have a safety and health management system that includes leadership and employee engagement, worksite analysis, hazard prevention and control, and safety training.
- Meet safety performance criteria (TRCR/DART rates and/or EMR rates).
- Provides for a safer working environment for employees.
- Increases communication with MOSH through partnering.
- Provides community and industry recognition by ABC and MOSH.
- Provides incentives to all construction employers for their achievement of effective and successful safety and management systems.
- Employers may reduce project expenses by eliminating penalties and litigation cost for promptly abated alleged hazards.
- Level 3 may designate a job site for exemption from programmed inspections for up to two years.
- On-site assistance provided by MOSH.
** Contact ABC or MOSH for information and full terms of the agreement.
MOSH SPECS Program Manager
10946 Golden West Drive, Suite 160
Hunt Valley, MD 21031